Changing the windows is a need that can arise for several reasons: from the deterioration of the existing ones to the need to improve the house’s thermal insulation. The first step is to go to a trusted retailer/installer or attend a sale by quality companies. The dealer should provide a series of options that will help you to orient yourself in choosing:
• The type of the existing window (style, type of material, darkness, etc.);
• The measurements (a retailer will think about it in detail);
• The colour (remembering that the condominium is bound to aesthetic uniformity);
• The need to differentiate between interior and exterior colour. In this regard, one can consider that in a PVC window the standard combination (white outside, tinted wood inside) entails a cost increase of about 10-12%;
• Any need for locks, anti-theft devices, handles.
Now, start changing your window!
1. Measure relief: Signed a contract then the reseller/installer can start an inspection to see the real situation. You can also ask for an asbestos inspection and an asbestos removal Perth (https://www.asbestoswatchperth.com.au/asbestos-removal-perth/) procedures if needed. It is time to detect the size of the windows to be made. And also to check if any extraordinary performances are needed. Between this and the next one spend about 40 days.
2. Supply of material: During the inspection, it is also possible to find the material on the loading plane (if auxiliary facilities are needed) and where to place it inside the dwelling. A mini-yard is set up to work safely, comfortably and without harm to the environments and furnishings.
3. Removing the old doors: Start the actual work. It started with an opening and completed with the intervention. The existing door frames are raised to be released from the hinges and separated from the chassis. They must immediately be disposed of, they are stacked momentarily, by transporting them out of the house.
4. Removing the old frame: In this case, the old wooden frame was kept. In the windows, however, cut and removed from the bottom, for a better aesthetics (or the edge would be too wide) and more user-friendly. It remained intact, however, in the window holder, getting an acceptable raise anyway.
5. Hinging of the hinges: With the help of a disk cutter, all hinges are retained from the frame. Work has to be done to perfection, in order not to compromise the application of the new window. The surface of the uprights is prepared, and dust and debris are cleaned.
6. Testing of the new frame: Before installing the new window, a dry test (without adhesive) is performed. The new frame is inserted into the opening compartment and superimposed on the old one: this way you can accurately locate the fixing points and evaluate any “adjustments”.
7. Preparation of the holes: Using a drill with a suitable point for the material – in this case, PVC – and with the suitable diameter for the screws to be added, the profiles of the new chassis are drilled in multiple points (according to the positions established with the dry test positioning). It works on the inside of each edge.
8. Application of the adhesive: Clean and release the opening compartment, proceed with the application of the new frame. On the windowsill, the sealant is stretched, which in the case of PVC pincers must be a neutral silicone. It is important that the product also has characteristics of elasticity, adhesion and resistance to high and low temperatures.
9. Fixing the window: Overlay the new frame to the old one, proceed with the final fixing of the window. Before securing the self-tapping screws so that the profiles are solid, with the help of a level, make sure the infeed is in the bubble in the compartment, that is perfectly orthogonal.
10. Laying new doors: The new frame has been fixed, so the “base” of the window is ready to support the doors. Laying them is a simple and fast step because it’s simply just by hooking them to the hinges on the sides. Everything must combats if in the previous steps every action was done to the point.
11. Hardware adjustment: A series of “closure tests” are used to test the mechanism and to calibrate the hardware. In particular, the hinges must be adjusted (though they are ready, they have to be adapted) and the closure hooks must be made: the round metal elements along the sides of the frame and frame that engage each other.
12. Seal the perimeter: It passes to completion: all the voids around the window must be filled and insulated with expandable polyurethane foams, to avoid the crevices through which the heat is dissipated and getting cold. However, do this before any devices or cables of the intrusion systems are placed.
13. Creating profiles: And here is the finishing stage. The covers are tested and cut to fit: the finishing strips, coordinated by colour and material on the window frame, covering the old edges and framing the compartment. Then on the inside and outside the window, apply neutral silicone, first vertical ones and then horizontal ones.
14. The term of work: Once the work is completed, the yard closes. The old windows and other debris that has been removed must be brought to the dump. In this case, the installer provided the service. Otherwise, you will have to do it yourself.